Friday, June 9, 2017

Applications in GIS (GIS5100): Lab 2

In this week's lab assignment, we had to created a corridor for black bears moving between the Coronado National Forest.   I applied the Euclidean tool to Road.shp and after getting the result calculation from the Euclidean tool, I used the Reclassify tool to narrow down the distance to fit my suitability criteria. I then reclassified the Elevation and landcover raster datasets to the suitability values criteria for what is acceptable habitat for black bears in the Coronado National Forest. With the three new reclassified files, I combined them into one dataset using the Weighted Overlay tool. The new Weighted Overlay layer’s values were then inverted by using the Raster Calculator tool. (10 – “Weighted Overlay layer”). I used the new inverted weighted overlay layer to calculating the cost distances for shapefiles of Coronado1 and Coronado2. Once the cost distances were created, I used them both in the Corridor tool which created possible passages for black bears to migrate safely. I narrowed down the values into 4 classes and made the any value over 58,075.3 have no color value. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment