Saturday, February 4, 2017

Cartographic Skills: Week 3 Lab Assignment

In this week's lab, we created a map of Marathon, Florida. The objectives that were learned this week  was to show that we have a better understanding and grasp of using AI. The map helped us display how well we are becoming familiarized with AI by adding map elements, labeling areas of the map with the typographic guideline in mind, and positioning different kinds of features in the appropriate locations on the map. 
 
My map is displaying one of many small islands in the Florida Keys called Marathon. In this map, I pinpointed certain areas in Marathon, such as, the cities, the airport, the state park, country club, and the keys. I added a legend to help the reader identify the symbols being used on this map. Also, I labeled the hydrographic features around Marathon. 

To create this map I started out in ArcMap to focus on the area of Marathon, FL, add an inset map to show where Marathon was, and include a scale bar. After creating the first part of map in ArcMap, I saved and moved the map over to AI. The tools I used the most in AI are the text input tool, line-segment tool, symbol input tool as well as the effect 'Distort' to help me curve the text. I also utilized a lot of layers to help me build this map
.

The three customizations that I added to map are the following:
  1. I added a border around the frame line of the map. I wanted to add just a little bit of zest to the map so I thought adding a beach theme border would go well with the topic of the map which shows part of the Florida Keys. 
  2. I curved the type around the coastline of certain hydrographic features. I wanted to differentiate between the other types that are displayed on the map. I used the ‘Distort’ tool and curved the type. 
  3. I also played with different font types to differentiate what information was being presented on the map. The different fonts allow me to categorize some of the information with certain font types labeling certain things.

No comments:

Post a Comment