Sunday, March 5, 2017

Cartographic Skills: Week 7 Module


In this week's module, we learned the importance of cloropleth maps and using appropriate proportional symbols. To make sure that we comprehend the material, we applied what we learned by creating a cloropleth map showing the wine consumption in Europe. We did the majority of the data manipulation in ArcMap, such as, choosing a color scheme for the map, used the SQL Query language to remove outliers in the dataset of our map, and we applied a data classification method to help represent our data. After exporting our map from ArcMap to AI, the finishing touches were added. The touches that I added were labeling the countries in Europe, adjusting the 'Wine Consumption' legend, and adding a solid color background to the map. 


The data classification scheme that I chose was quantiles due to there being more color variation with the data being presented. We are also observing the population of wine consumers in each country so quantiles method is more suited for this type of map as well.The thematic color scheme I chose started with a light tan color graduating to a dark brown. I chose this color scheme as to not overwhelm the map reader with all of the symbol elements we will be adding to the map thus allowing the map reader to easily look at the data on the map. Along with the color schemes, I used the graduated method for my symbols to help present wine consumption in each European country. The reason for me choosing this method and not the proportional method is the proportional method seems to overwhelm the map with huge symbols and one could not make out what country it resided on. With the graduated method, I’m able to select the size range of my symbols and it also allows me select how many classes I want to utilize to showcase my data.


No comments:

Post a Comment