Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Intro to GIS: Week 7-8 Lab Assignment


In this week's lab, we had to find data to create our own maps of the counties that each of us were assigned for this week. The purposes of this assignment was to test our skills in collecting, managing, and recording the data that we found for our maps which we later used. We also had to figure out which projections would the best in presenting the data that we collected and had to make sure that our maps could be easily interpreted by anyone reading the maps that we created. The county that I was assigned for this week's assignment was Lake County, Florida. Lake County was has a unique shape which caused me some extra work as I was looking for the 'Digital Elevation Model' (DEM) for the county. Lake County has two DEM files which had to be downloaded into ArcMap and clipped to the shape of the county. 



I had a little bit of difficulty with DOQQ raster dataset showing in the Albers projection. I changed the projection to Florida State Plane East in which the raster dataset did appear but was in the wrong location. So I used my thinking cap and thought that Lady Lake city is very close to the Florida State Plane West zone which might affect the location of the dataset. I then changed the projection to Florida State Plane West zone which worked like a charm. Overall, I found this assignment quite an educational experience when dealing with raster data not projecting properly.


No comments:

Post a Comment